• Login:

Welcome to the Droid Bionic Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

No data connectivity

This is a discussion on No data connectivity within the Droid Bionic Help forums, part of the Droid Bionic Support category; Got my Bionic Friday and played around with it all weekend. I kept getting no data connectivity issues. I noticed it happened when the phone ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

No data connectivity fixed

Got my Bionic Friday and played around with it all weekend. I kept getting no data connectivity issues. I noticed it happened when the phone would switch from any combination of wi-fi to 4G to 3G. I saw suggestions in various Bionic forums to either toggle to airplane mode and back, or turn off and do a battery pull. The airplane mode solution did not work for me but the reboot with battery pull would work but after a long wait in which the network connection would return. I went for a weekend getaway and on the drive back I was on 4G then the phone tried switching to 3G at which point it lost network connectivity. I tried resetting it as before but this time I also got an invalid SIM card error notification. Looking in the phone settings there was no SIM ID listed any more. At this point I could not even make any phone calls. Totally unacceptable as I travel a lot and rely on my phone for calls, navigation, and finding my way around.

I went straight to the Verizon store when I got back home. They said that there is a bulletin about the issue and that an OTA update will be out in November. In the meantime they said that there is a work around - using the airplane mode method. I told them I already tried that and it really didn't fix it, but they did it anyway. And the sales guy said that just to be sure he would replace my SIM card. He came back a few minutes later and said it was all fixed. I had my doubts. When I got back to my car I compared the phone's SIM ID with the card that originally came with it and lo and behold nothing had changed. The sales guy just gave me the BS so I went straight back and talked to the manager. The sales guy came back to me and in the meantime I had rebooted my phone. This time I got the invalid SIM card error and the sales guy saw it and conferred with the manager. They agreed that something was wrong and recommended to get my phone replaced. After a few minutes I got a new phone and I haven't had the network connection issue for almost 48 hours now. I believe it was a bad phone.

I thought this would be useful info for those of you who are just as frustrated as I was. I wanted to fall in love with the phone but now I am still skeptical. The phone works great when it is working!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, the airplane mode toggle does nothing on cdma only mode but in cdma/lte when I toggle airplane mode off the triangle in the status bar flashes and then does a 2nd flash but in about half the time and that's it. I'm hoping I can get to the store either tomorrow or the day after. Its a shame that so much time was spent making this phone 'perfect' and there's this many problems.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Bionic Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I had a similar problem. Fixed it by going into Settings>Battery & data manager > Data delivery > make sure Data enabled is checked.

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I talked to Verizon tech support today. They are aware of the LTE/CDMA switching problem on some phones. They anticipate a "firmware patch" from Motorola in early November. In the meantime, they suggested trading phone out for a new one or manually switching to CDMA when there is no LTE coverage. You would think that after all the delays for this device they would have the significant bugs worked out.

Bionic Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey guys....I finally just did a hard reset to see if that would take care of the problem. It worked! So far so good.

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by czonin View Post
    I had a similar problem. Fixed it by going into Settings>Battery & data manager > Data delivery > make sure Data enabled is checked.
    Yeah it's been checked.

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Im confused by this. Where I live we dont have 4g yet (supposedly around November or December) but I dont have any issues with my 3g. So this happens when your phone goes between 4g and 3g?

- Sent from my DROID Bionic -

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
    Im confused by this. Where I live we dont have 4g yet (supposedly around November or December) but I dont have any issues with my 3g. So this happens when your phone goes between 4g and 3g?

- Sent from my DROID Bionic -
    No it happens all the time as in I never have 4g or 3g no matter where I am (there is 4g in my area btw). The only option left that I can think of is to unroot and factory reset. I think I read something somewhere to not factory while rooted. And another joyous happening is that the one click unroot tool doesn't open on either of my windows machines and I've re-downloaded many times. I hope an unroot script comes out for Linux soon.

Update: borrowed a friends computer to unroot, did a factory reset and am waiting to see if the problem still happens. Not rooting this time tho haha.
    Last edited by Drummynator; 09-13-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I figured out what was wrong. I forgot to use filters in titanium backup while restoring and restored system apps from my Droid X. I don't know which app it was specifically, but make sure you watch what you're restoring.

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    When will VZW own up to this colossal f__k up? Two great articles on what's going on here:

This Is Why Your Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Or Other 4G LTE VZW Phone) Is Losing Its Data Connection

Dear Verizon: Your 4G Phones Have Data Connectivity Problems, And It’s Really Pissing Everyone Off

It's bullcrap, and VZW is playing this one so close to the chest, it's going to come back and bite them. I, for one, hope it bites them HARD.

Ads