• Login:

Welcome to the Droid Bionic Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

USB Host Mode on the Bionic?

This is a discussion on USB Host Mode on the Bionic? within the Droid Bionic General Discussion forums, part of the Droid Bionic Forum category; Can anyone who has the Bionic confirm that the device is capable of USB Host Most, like the Xoom or Galaxy S II? This is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: USB Host Mode on the Bionic?

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

USB Host Mode on the Bionic?

Can anyone who has the Bionic confirm that the device is capable of USB Host Most, like the Xoom or Galaxy S II? This is a deal breaker for me, and can't find anywhere online that says yes or no. I think that the dock has USB ports, so that would suggest that it does indeed have USB Host mode. I believe for the pre-mentioned devices, you have to have a USB OTG cable to make this work. Thanks in Advance.

m.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Bionic Technician
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    i really dont know what that is lol or i would check for you.

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Removable Devices

USB Host Mode allows you to, with a USB On-The-Go adapter, to use your phone with removable devices like Keyboards, removable storage, etc. I have a specific app that only works with devices that suppost USB Host Mode, like the Xoom or the Galaxy S 2. I stopped at the Verizon store over lunch and tested it on a demo model, and couldn't get it to work. I'm not saying that it doesn't work, we just couldn't do it while I was standing there.

m.
    bweN diorD likes this.

Bionic Technician
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    im not familiar with that device but thanks for the info.

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Yes, it appears the Bionic does have USB Host

I can confirm after a visit to the local Verizon store here that USB host/otg is on the Bionic. It is a deal breaker for me and after all the hype about the Samsung and Atrix with ATT earlier this year, I was going to jump ship if the Bionic didn't have it. Now, I will say that I plugged in a USB key and it mounted it just fine and Moto advertises it will mount mice and keyboards, but the only test I could get to work was with the HDMI dock. This scenario is exactly like the Atrix and its host mode and did the same thing when plugging in to the dock at the ATT retailer....so I purchased it (the Bionic) with the assumption that host mode/otg is ready. Atrix users that I have read posts from online all said that if you didn't want to fork out the $100 bucks and use the cable direct, it only took shorting pins 4-5 or getting a micro OTG cable adapter for otg. Since the dock and Bionic are almost a clone scenario to the Atrix, I am banking on it being the same. In fact, in the settings there is a 'greyed-out' item for Ethernet. My visit today at a Verizon store again revealed that Moto might be coming out with an adapter that allows direct connection to a router or wall jack, which would be awesome. I was just hoping my DUB-e100 Dlink would work since it is in the linux kernel. Is there a rj45 in the docks?

Don't get excited about tweaking USB modes though, there isn't any config I could find to turn it on or off. It is just 'there'.
    The Pope likes this.

Bionic Technician
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Interesting, Very Interesting .... (Colonel Klink)
    The Pope"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots.So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (unknown author - well ..... I don't know who said it first!)
    You don't know what you don't know, but God does. (author - Me! )Guidelines of ConductTo become a member: Simply Click Here.

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    the word dealbreaker is a dealbreaker for me
    Scottysize likes this.

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

so whats the verdict?

Does this actually work or do you only think it works?
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tcayton49 View Post
    the word dealbreaker is a dealbreaker for me
    Ditto +1 ^^^

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I made this work, but I had to splice together a few cables and modify the micro type B plug.
    It won't work with just a regular otg cable because the bionic won't power the USB bus quite enough.
    If you are up for a project, you can short (to ground) the Identity pin on the micro plug that goes INTO the bionic. Then splice a USB charger to the red and black lines.
    I plugged everything into a USB hub and found that keyboard, mouse, and flash drive work just fine out of the box. I did use a powered USB hub, but it was only 14 bucks.
    All of this works fine on a NON rooted device. I think its all built in for that webtop and lapdock accessory they make.

I looked at "usbview" after There are a few USB devices in there already, a few root hubs and such. it looks like the devices mounts the standard USBFS that you see on desktop linuxes. libusb, both the old version and the new version were also in the /usr/lib folder. wicked cool.
    Strangely enough, i found perl and python interpreters installed on the device too. Pretty cool as well.

Ads