• Login:

Welcome to the Droid Bionic Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rooting the Bionic, for that matter rooting period, Why?

This is a discussion on Rooting the Bionic, for that matter rooting period, Why? within the Droid Bionic General Discussion forums, part of the Droid Bionic Forum category; What is the impact with my carrier - VZW? Also can someone link me to the root process? Thanks for the responses, they are graciously ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Rooting the Bionic, for that matter rooting period, Why?

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What is the impact with my carrier - VZW? Also can someone link me to the root process? Thanks for the responses, they are graciously appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Bionic Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tbbionic View Post
    What is the impact with my carrier - VZW? Also can someone link me to the root process? Thanks for the responses, they are graciously appreciated.
    Most likely? From what I understand, nothing. If they discover that you are rooted, they may void your warranty when you have a valid issue.

Things may be changing to give you more flexibility (as in, hardware issues may not be voidable by rooting) depending on how the courts treat current cases, or things may change to make them less flexible (give you less control over your device by ruling that they have a right to void warranty just because you asserted your right to control what you own...I may be showing a bias to how I feel about this issue here...)

The real question is, what do you want to accomplish with your mobile, and how much are you willing to challenge the beast? I hope that your answers are "everything possible" and "as much as it takes", because we need everyone we can get on our side to make the change i'm spite of the carriers.

Of course, you can always assume this is just the rum talking...I've had plenty of that tonight

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi

I rooted my Bionic today and downloaded Titanium Pro, I have the super user Icon but have no Titanium Backup Icon. Not sure what to make of this ? Phone shoes that the app is installed???

Bionic Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    You have to download the free version. Titanium pro is just the pro key,and it gives you access to stuff that is blocked in the free version

Bionic Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottysize View Post
    Rooting gives you higher level access within the Android Operating system. One of the reason's people root is to install a custom ROMs because it gives you better control over the device and can have a completely different look and feel or additional speed tweaks and over clocking. A ROM is the look and feel of your device, but because Android is open source it can be customized by other developers outside of Motorola. However, you don't need to root to change out ROMs. There are programs in the market that will allow you to customize your ROM without rooting.

Got off track. Back to rooting:
    It's the same as having Administrator access on you computer. You can do things on your device that is normally prohibited by the manufacturer, like freeze bloatware. It's a bit more complicated than that but that's the basic idea. Rooting is a simple process that if you don't know or understand what you're doing, can "brick" your phone and make it unusable. Rooting does void your warranty, if they catch you.
    So how do you add roms without rooting. I really enjoy doing custom things with my phone but am still nervous about rooting.

Bionic Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    You can't. If you are nervous about rooting then you should probably read up on it. There are plenty of guides out there. If you are still uncomfortable then don't do it. There are plenty of saftey nets out there and if it goes badly we are here to help.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    This thread is still going strong huh? Well, go read this: Top 10 Reasons To Root Your Android Phone

Ads