• Login:

Welcome to the Droid Bionic Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Now hear this....Verizon Razr has Unlocked bootloader...not for you though ;)

This is a discussion on Now hear this....Verizon Razr has Unlocked bootloader...not for you though ;) within the Droid Bionic General Discussion forums, part of the Droid Bionic Forum category; Case you haven't read.... It is Illegal for Verizon to Lock Some Bootloaders | xda-developers and another artical http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10...pectrum-rules/ "Verizon Wireless breaks the law if ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Bionic Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Now hear this....Verizon breaking the law by locking bootloaders.

Case you haven't read....

It is Illegal for Verizon to Lock Some Bootloaders | xda-developers

and another artical

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10...pectrum-rules/

"Verizon Wireless breaks the law if the bootloaders are locked on some phones. By the end of this article, you’ll know why.

As I was recording my show for XDA TV this week, I had a moment. You can see for yourself. I was recapping my artical about Motorola and Verizon not unlocking the bootloader for the Droid RAZR. The line I delivered was, “The international version of the Droid RAZR will be shipping with an unlocked bootloader". Now, this could be that Motorola wants to compete with the Galaxy Nexus…” That’s when I had my moment, and added, “which is funny because that’s also going on Verizon.”

In that moment, I realized that Motorola must be lying. Why can some devices and manufacturers unlock their bootloaders, and not others? But I was wrong. (Congratulations, Motorola, on your newfound sense of freedom!) The Galaxy Nexus is special for two reasons. First, it’s Google’s phone. Second, it’s likely that the Galaxy Nexus’ LTE radio uses Block C frequencies.

Not many people know what the C Block is. I didn’t either. Andrew Krug of Android Activists told me about it, and we spent the night pouring over research. Verizon has the largest 4G network because they bought it in 2008. At the time, the 700 MHz radio frequencies brought you your favorite broadcast television shows. When television switched from analog to digital, they became your 4G networks.

When the Federal Communications Commission announced to auction to sell the 700 MHz band, they broke it into five different “blocks”, each with different regulations according to how widespread they are. This created a Goldilocks sort of situation. Block D has the largest area, but comes with more clauses than malls have during the Christmas season. Plus, you’re supposed to be a public service agency. Blocks A, B, and E are small potatoes. But Block C was just right. Few regulations, lots of breadth.

It was so good, in fact, that the FCC tacked on a few more regulations, encouraged by Google. Unless Block C sold for less than $4.6 billion, it comes with an open access provision. Google pledged $4.6 billion to ensure Block C comes with the open access provision. The open access provision requires Verizon to “not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee’s C Block network.” It goes on to say, “The potential for excessive bandwidth demand alone shall not constitute grounds for denying, limiting or restricting access to the network.” Verizon bought Block C and tried to have the provisions removed. They failed. The provisions are still there, Verizon has the Block C license. That means if a device uses the Block C frequencies, Verizon cannot insist what apps or firmware it runs. It also means they can’t limit data plans for those devices. Which is odd, because I remember Verizon dropping unlimited data plans back in July 2011.

So the question is, do any devices use Block C frequencies? Yes. Some are called Hotspots. Others are called the HTC Thunderbolt. There may be more, those are simply the two I know about and confirmed. The Hotspots are a non-issue. They comply with FCC regulations as far as I’m aware. The HTC Thunderbolt, on the other hand, does not. In the list of rules and exceptions for the Block C license, it says this:

Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee’s standards pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers’ networks.

In case you’re wondering, Paragraph (b) is what I previously quoted from the FCC’s open access provisions document. Last I checked, HTCDev does not offer a bootloader unlocking solution for the HTC Thunderbolt. Is this HTC’s fault? No. Their website states, “HTC is committed to assisting customers in unlocking bootloaders for HTC devices. However, certain models may not be unlockable due to operator restrictions.” And having personally met the HTCdev team, I believe them.

That leaves Verizon. Good ol’ Verizon. Breaking the law since May, at the latest. If you owned a Thunderbolt, please file a complaint with the FCC. Select Wireless Telephone > Billing, Service, Privacy, Number Portability and other issues > Online Form. Fill out your information, scroll down, fill out 1 and 2, skip 3 and 4. Then in 5, tell the FCC that your phone’s bootloader was sold to you locked and still is, even though it uses Block C (reag) frequencies.

Don’t worry. The FCC said they're committed to enforcing the open access provision. We’ll see how fast Verizon turns things around. If you know of any other devices that use frequencies between 746 and 757 MHz, and also 776 to 787 MHz, please send a message to me or any Portal News Writer. Thanks."

Thanks XDA.

God Bless Android
    Last edited by nerdslogic; 10-25-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Title Change if possible

2. # ADS
    Ads

Bionic Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Mod's can you make actual title of thread match what shows on this page? I changed the title after submitting the thread....

Bionic Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I read that earlier today. Interesting, to say the least. I sure hope the GN is on Block C. I don't own a Thunderbolt, if I did I'd probably be a bit ticked off after reading that.

Droid Bionic
    rooted
    Eclipse v1.1.1
    and
    [P]urity IC3 2.5

Bionic Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting read, I definitely would like to read up on the FCC regulations a little more. I'm wondering if there may be a loop hole because these phones also utilize CDMA?

Bionic Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Check out this article on Android Police. I knew there was a way around this.PSA: Verizon Locking Bootloaders On LTE Devices Likely Does Not Violate FCC Block C Spectrum Rules

Bionic Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I just saw that too stretch.....odd how it isn't getting a lot of attention....we have been fighting for this for over a year....come to find out we have a leg to stand on and nobody cares....

Ads